- $5,000 in cash
- An interview with the author in Writer’s Digest
- One on one attention from four editors or agents
- A paid trip to the ever-popular Writer’s Digest Conference!
- A one year subscription to Writer’s Digest Tutorials
The First place winner in each category will receive $1,000 in cash and $100 off a purchase from the Writer’s Digest Shop
The Second place winner in each category will receive $500 cash and $100 off a purchase from the Writer’s Digest Shop
The Third place winner in each category will receive $250 in cash and $100 off a purchase from the Writer’s Digest Shop
The Fourth place winner in each category will receive $100 in cash and $50 off a purchase from the Writer’s Digest Shop
The Fifth place winner in each category will receive $50 in cash and $50 off a purchase from the Writer’s Digest Shop
The Sixth through Tenth place winners in each category will receive $25 in cash
All top winners will also receive:
- A one-year Writer’s Digest VIP membership, which includes a one-year subscription (new or renewal) to Writer’s Digest magazine, access to WritersMarket.com for one year, discounts on Writer’s Digest University workshops and discounts off of purchases made at WritersDigestShop.com.
- The Grand Prize winning piece and the 1st place winning piece in each category will be published in the 87th Annual Writer’s Digest Annual Writing Competition Collection.
- All other top winners will have their names listed in Writer’s Digest, on WritersDigest.com and in the 87th Annual Writer’s Digest Annual Writing Competition Collection.
All Honorable Mentions receive:
- 20% discount off of purchases made at WritersDigestShop.com
- Their names listed in the 87th Annual Writer’s Digest Annual Writing Competition Collection.
- Inspirational Writing (Spiritual/Religious)
- Memoirs/Personal Essay
- Magazine Feature Article
- Genre Short Story (Mystery, Romance, etc.)
- Mainstream/Literary Short Story
- Rhyming Poetry
- Non-rhyming Poetry
- Script (Stage Play or Television/Movie Script)
- Children’s/Young Adult Fiction
How to Enter
- Enter online or submit your entry via regular mail. Offline entries must be accompanied by an Entry Form, and the required entry fee (credit card information, check or money order made payable to F+W Media, Inc.). If you are entering more than one manuscript, you may mail all entries in the same envelope and write one check for the total entry fee; however, each manuscript must have its category indicated in the upper left-hand corner. You may enter online even if you are paying with a check. All checks will be cashed within 60 days of the competition final deadline. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- Your entry must be original, in English, unpublished* and unproduced, not accepted by any other publisher or producer at the time of submission. Writer’s Digest retains one-time nonexclusive publication rights to the Grand Prize and First Place winning entries in each category to be published in a Writer’s Digest publication.* Entries in the Magazine Feature Article category may be previously published. Any piece posted online, anywhere other than a personal blog, is considered published. For poetry, poems posted online to poets’ personal blogs, social media accounts, or online forums (like the comments on the Poetic Asides blog) are eligible. Anything posted online by a third party is considered to be published.
- If you are submitting your entry via regular mail (NOT using the online entry form), the entry must be typed on one side of 8-1/2 x 11 or A4 white paper. Scripts and poems may be either double-or single-spaced; all other manuscripts must be double-spaced. The competition category and word count/line count must appear in the upper left-hand corner of the first page —otherwise your entry is disqualified. The first page should also include the entry’s title. As judging is blind, do not include your name, address, phone number, email address or other identifying information in the upper left-hand corner of the first page.
- BE SURE OF YOUR WORD COUNT! Entries exceeding the word or page limits will be disqualified. Type the exact word count (counting every single word, except the title) at the top of the manuscript.
- Mailed entries that are more than one page in length must be stapled.
- Due to U.S. Government restrictions we are unable to accept entries from Syria, Iran, North Korea, or Sudan.
- For more information visit our Preparing Your Entry Page or our FAQpage.
- Click here for the offline entry form.
To receive occasional updates on deadlines, when winners are announced and other writing competitions information, sign up for the Writing Competition Email.
Christian Book Awards, Writing Contests and Literary Prizes
Blue Ridge Mountains CWC Unpublished Writers Contest
Attendees of the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference are eligible to submit their unpublished work to this contest.If you have been paid for your writing in any publication category, then you are ineligible for this contest in that cate...
The Carol Awards are ACFW’s recognition for the best Christian fiction published by traditional publishing houses in the previous calendar year. Beginning with the 2015 Carol Awards program, certain independently published Christian fiction will be...
Catholic Press Book Awards
Both CPA members and non-members may enter the CPA Book Awards. An eligible entrant will be an author of a book or the publishing company. Award winners receive an award certificate and are recognized by their peers during the annual Catholic Med...
Christian Author Awards
Sponsored by Xulon Press, the Christian Author Awards recognizes preeminent new Christian authors who are independently published. Full-length books of fiction and non-fiction are eligible. Eligible books must be in English and published in the Uni...
Christian Book Awards
The Christian Book Awards are among the most prestigious awards in the religious publishing industry, as well as the oldest. Formerly the Gold Medallion Book Awards, the Christian Book Awards have been awarded to Christian authors since 1978. Given o...
Christian Retailing's Best awards
The awards sponsored by Christian Retailing were introduced in 2001 and have been acknowledged as an important way of recognizing some of the most significant, life-changing products in the industry. Nominations must include clear Christian content...
Christian Small Publisher Book of the Year Award
Christian Small Publisher Book of the Year Award is designed to promote small publishers in the Christian marketplace and bring recognition to outstanding Christian books from a small publisher with revenues of $400,000 or less per year. Awards wil...
Every year publishers are invited to submit novels written from a Christian worldview and copyrighted in the year preceding the awards. To be eligible, you must submit a full-length work of fiction, including a novella published as a freestanding e...
Excellence in Publishing Awards
The goal of the "Excellence in Publishing Awards" is to recognize the best in Catholic publishing. Publishers may submit multiple books. Publishers who are Foundation Members at the time of submission will receive one free submission for every paid s...
Fresh Ink is a novice contest designed for new hobby writers who have not yet been published. The awards are the ideal opportunity to have your word critiqued by a professional. Receive valuable insights, recommendations and connections that will ass...
The ACFW Genesis Contest is for unpublished Christian fiction writers. With ten categories to enter, Genesis provides the opportunity for unbiased feedback on writers’ work by published authors and experienced judges, and the chance for finalis...
Global Ebook Awards
The Global Ebook Awards are more than an honor for the best ebooks published, they offer high-profile publicity for ebook authors, publishers and ebooks....
Illumination Book Awards
With the motto, “Shining a Light on Exemplary Christian Books,” the Illumination Book Awards are designed to honor the year’s best new titles written and published with a Christian worldview. Authors, illustrators, publishers and self-publish...
Independent Publisher Book Awards
Conducted annually, the Independent Publisher Book Awards honor the year’s best independently published titles from around the world. The awards are intended to bring increased recognition to the thousands of exemplary independent, university, ...
You have a great book, you’re looking for some recognition, and you want a wider audience to fall in love with it. That’s where Foreword’s annual book awards program comes in. The IndieFab Awards recognize the best in indie book pub...
National Indie Excellence Awards
The National Indie Excellence Awards is open to all English language books available for sale, including small presses, mid-size independent publishers, university presses, and self-published authors. The National Indie Excellence Awards exists...
Next Generation Indie Book Awards
The Next Generation Indie Book Awards (#NGIBA) is the largest non-profit book awards program for indie authors and publishers. The Next Generation Indie Book Awards was established to recognize and honor the most exceptional independently published...
Speaking Volumes Christian Book Awards
The purpose is to promote what is best in Christian writing in the UK and to encourage the writing of Christian books. Lately it has focused on what makes a good Christian library book by looking specifically at books that would sit comfortably on a ...
Utmost Christian Poetry Contest
This contest is open only to Christians. It is open to all Christians. You do not need to be a member of Utmost Christian Writers. You may be a published poet or an unpublished poet. It does not matter what country you live in—but you must be a Chr...
The Word Awards was established to encourage the pursuit of excellence in the art, craft, practice and ministry of writing and help to raise the profile of Canadian writers who are Christian.The content of eligible entries must be consistent with a C...